Thursday, December 8, 2016

Autism and Easter

Since they don't race on Easter, I decided to blog about Easter this time and tell what it's like for the autistic.




Easter has challenges for the autistic. For example, the Easter Bunny can be hard for kids on the spectrum. However, Caring Bunny is a program that allows kids that are autistic to get a picture with the Easter Bunny. The families are allowed to visit the Easter Bunny at the mall before hours, so they don't have the lines and crowds to deal with.  Egg dying can trigger sensory issues, but OT can help with this in time. However, the kids may need to do this in steps or take breaks. Hunting eggs in the backyard is something those that are autistic can do, but these kids may not understand why this is done. Church services may be challenging, but those on the spectrum may enjoy the music (if they that happen to like music).  Easter baskets are still possible, though the gifts may not be typical things. Those not on a special diet will enjoy some Easter candy, even if other Easter activities and elements may be challenging or need to be adapted to the needs of the autistic.


When I was younger, I did many typical Easter things. My cousins are older than me, so except when I was a tiny girl, they were old for egg hunts. However, one time when I was still a young girl, a friend of the family did an egg hunt for her grandson who was staying with her and for me. She had sporty eggs for him and girly ones for me. This woman I speak and her husband have a niece whose son is autistic, but not as high functioning as me. She hid the eggs in various places around her house. I did every other Easter thing when I was small, even saw an Easter bunny one time, though..


I started this the week after Easter, but I really slacked on my blog this year. Between all my other projects and sites I visit, my blog often got lost in the shuffle this year. That and real life. I got a 3 evenings a week cleaning job at a mall food court within a half hour of where I live. On the days I don't work, I might still have other things going on. Like Wednesdays, I volunteer someplace in the afternoon every other week as a rule and almost every Wednesday evening, I help with a girl's club at my church. Some Tuesdays and Thursdays, I do rec activities for developmentally disabled people and on the second Thursday of the month, my family goes to a buffet (if we choose to and it's not canceled). I go to it if there's no agency activity that interests me more than that dinner.



No comments:

Post a Comment